POSITION: Company Pianist
REPORTS TO: Music Director
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt Position with Benefits
Some Travel may be required
COMPENSATION: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Under minimal supervision, the Company Pianist provides piano accompaniment and musical guidance for rehearsals of ballet and company ballet class.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides musical accompaniment for rehearsals. Attends dress rehearsal of assigned ballets.
- Prepares music for rehearsal. Adapts, arranges, learns and studies (using available audio or video materials), piano transcription of orchestral, chamber, concerto, operatic, choral scores as well as piano solo scores.
- Under supervision of conductors, consults with choreographers and rehearsal coaches regarding such musical aspects as tempo, phrasing, counting, cutting music, extending music via repeats or additional pieces.
- Records choreography in rehearsal scores.
- Serves as key liaison between choreographers/rehearsal coaches and music librarian and conductors.
- Selects music for and plays company ballet class.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience:
- Substantial experience playing piano with a major dance company. (Preferred).
- Play an average of 4-6 hours of scheduled rehearsal and class in addition to personal practice time.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with choreographers, dancers and rehearsal coaches and others by building rapport, listening and responding to their needs and being easy to approach.
- Demonstrate diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Continue to practice piano and demonstrate continued technical proficiency.
- Consistently communicate musical revisions to Music Director/ Conductor and seeks approval for such revisions on a timely basis.
- Consistently offer creative and innovative musical repertoire for class.
- Maintain accurate and detailed descriptions of choreography in rehearsal scores.
- Be consistently available, ready and prepared for company class, dress and technical rehearsals.
- Organize and communicate information clearly.
- Demonstrate ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Be prepared to rehearse/perform all repertoire prior to the first rehearsal.
- Respond to requests regarding musical/technical stage information from the Production Department in a timely manner.
Houston Ballet Mission Statement
To inspire a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography and superb educational programs. In furtherance of our mission, we are committed to maintaining and enhancing our status as:
- A classically trained company with a diverse repertory whose range includes the classics as well as contemporary works.
- A company that attracts the world's best dancers and choreographers and provides them with an environment where they can thrive and further develop the art form.
- An international company that is accessible to broad and growing local, national, and international audiences.
- A company with a world-class Academy that provides first rate instruction for professional dancers and meaningful programs for non-professional dancers.
- A company with state of the art facilities for performances, rehearsals and ongoing operations.
SEND COVER LETTER, RESUME AND
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THREE PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES
(One of which must be from a ballet teacher for whom you have played) to:
Att: Theresa Hanebury – Music Librarian/Pianist Coordinator
Houston TX 77002
Due to the large number of resume submissions we receive, we will not be able to acknowledge receipt of your resume.
Houston Ballet Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex creed, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.